Roads and Highways Services
GIBB’s multi-disciplinary team of engineers, specialists and project managers offers planning, design and contract supervision of the full spectrum of highway facilities, from high-capacity freeways to low-volume rural and township roads. Our involvement in extensive road networks around Africa supports the economic growth of the continent, encouraging progress and changing lives.
Our services include:
Urban and rural roads
Road rehabilitation and maintenance
- Report stage planning to determine the most feasible route or upgrading alternative
- Preliminary design stage planning
- Detailed design including geometric, drainage and pavement design
- The timeous maintenance and/or rehabilitation of the existing pavements network are fundamental to cost effective and sustainable infrastructure provision. GIBB’s experience covers the full range of services necessary to derive optimum and cost effective design solutions.
Procurement and construction supervision
- GIBB draws on its vast experience in utilizing approach alternatives in the design and rehabilitation of bridges which carry people, vehicles, railways and pipelines over geographical or infrastructural barriers to produce appropriate and cost effective solutions.
Public Private Partnership Projects
- Tender documentation
- Pre-construction services, i.e. the tender process, adjudication of tenders and recommendations and assistance to the client in appointing a contractor
- Contract supervision
- Post construction services
- GIBB provides support and advice to concessionaires and their financiers in public private partnership projects such as toll roads.
The planning and design process requires the integration of a wide variety of inputs from a range of specialists, namely:
- GIBB’s pavement engineering, asphalt and friction course research and development expertise are frequently published and presented at international conferences.
- Town planning
- Transportation engineering
- Transport economics
- Traffic engineering
- Geometric design
- Pavement and pavement rehabilitation design
- Bridge design
- Flood hydrology and hydraulics
- Drainage, including stormwater design
- Environmental studies and management plans
- Topographical survey and mapping
- Geotechnical investigations
- Road lighting
- Trafffic signalling and other control
- Occupational health and safety